Chanterelles in numerous discounters are not suitable for consumption
Chanterelles are currently on the menu as seasonal dishes in many restaurants and are offered in supermarkets and weekly markets. However, the supposedly fresh mushrooms can often no longer be enjoyed, which is the result of a current study by the NDR consumer magazine "Markt".
When examining the chanterelles, the testers of the consumer magazine “Markt” classified seven out of eight samples as “hazardous to health” and therefore “not marketable”. In view of the frightening results, experts such as Georg Müller from the German Society for Mycology urgently called for the controls to be improved because the spoiled mushrooms can pose significant health risks.
Seven out of eight chanterelle samples dangerous to health The NDR consumer magazine examined chanterelles from eight different discounters in northern Germany and classified seven out of eight samples as inedible. In the past year, 70 percent of the samples were assessed as “not suitable for consumption” in a corresponding investigation. The current figures show that the situation has worsened even further, reports the consumer magazine. A scandal for the expert of the German Society for Mycology, Georg Müller. The expert analyzed the chanterelle samples from the discounters on behalf of the NDR and found that the mushrooms offered by Real, Famila, Sky, Toom, Aldi, Penny and Netto were "hazardous to health" and "not marketable". In two samples, the goods were even 100 percent spoiled, reports “Markt”. Only Edeka's chanterelles did not fail completely in the current investigation. Although numerous fungi were rotten here, too, Müller classified the sample as "conditionally marketable".
Severe health problems due to spoiled Pilze
The result of the current investigation is particularly worrying for the experts, since the fungi are clearly to be assessed as "hazardous to health". During his 30-year career, he has never had a comparable bad result, emphasized Müller. Improved controls are urgently needed here in order to avoid health risks to consumers. Because these would often not notice when the chanterelles were consumed that the mushrooms were spoiled. This could be "extremely dangerous," added Dr. Andreas Schaper from the Giftinformationszentrum-Nord in Göttingen opposite the NDR consumer magazine. With extremely spoiled chanterelles there is a possibility that the bacteria on the mushrooms produce a poison that can cause considerable health problems. As a result of consumption, severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting can occur, the expert warned. In the worst case, such fungal poisoning can also be fatal, stressed Schaper. Since the discounters had already promised improvement after a corresponding investigation and promised stricter controls, but these apparently had no effect, the experts now also see the legislature as obliged to improve the surveillance of the mushrooms on behalf of consumers.
Consumers should take a close look when buying mushrooms
Because chanterelles are relatively perishable due to their high humidity and an improvement in the controls will probably take some time, the experts advise consumers to pay attention to some essential details when buying the mushrooms themselves. The chanterelles should under no circumstances be greasy or moist, but rather dry and undamaged. If the ends of the stems have dried out, this is a sign that the mushrooms have been in storage for a longer time. According to the experts, caution is generally advised when hats are damaged and the slats are glued together. If mold can be seen with the naked eye, consumption should be avoided. With film-protected chanterelles, consumers should also take a close look, since moisture can collect under the protective film, which causes the fungi to spoil particularly quickly. Overall, however, consumers in the supermarkets will probably be looking for perfect chanterelles for as long as a mushroom picking trip into nature would cost. (fp)
Read about mushrooms:
Naturopathy: mushrooms as medicine
Take nausea seriously after eating mushrooms
70 percent of chanterelles are hazardous to health
Image: Gabi Schoenemann / pixelio.de