17 percent of people in Germany live in mold
If tenants discover mold in their own four walls, it has certainly already expanded considerably in many cases. The health damage for the residents takes place long before the first discovery. In some cases, sufferers suffer from chronic complications for a lifetime. Nevertheless, many people are not aware of the health risk or do not take the consequences of mold seriously. Simple precautions can reduce the risk of mold growth.
Most Germans underestimate the danger of mold. The mold, which is usually stuck to damp walls, poses numerous health risks. According to a study by the market research institute “Innofact” on behalf of the “Immowelt” apartment search portal, in which more than 1,000 people took part, about 17 percent of all residents in Germany live in an apartment or house infected with mold. Since the moldy areas are usually in dark and not immediately visible corners, the rate should, according to experts, be far higher than determined in the survey.
Many underestimate the risk of mold
Nevertheless, many see no noteworthy danger in the harmful fungi. Every ninth survey participant stated that mold had “no” or “only a slight” effect on the health of the residents. Even mild mold can lead to nausea and vomiting, headache, fatigue and difficulty concentrating. In severe cases, sufferers suffer from chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma, immune system disorders or allergies.
Moisture provokes the formation of mold
A damp environment in buildings is the main cause of the formation of toxic molds. The mushrooms find a rich "food supply" in wallpaper, wood, plaster, wall coatings or paste on the damp walls. In addition, mold also settles in floor coverings, carpets, books, clothing or dust. Moisture is particularly provoked by incorrect ventilation or artificial humidity. In most cases, the fungus first appears in the bathroom, since showering or bathing results in a constant high level of humidity. In addition, bedrooms are often affected because many people do not turn on the heating even in winter and thus promote the formation of mold.
Simple measures are usually sufficient to prevent mold. The living areas and kitchen should have a constant room temperature of 20 degrees Celsius. 21 degrees is enough in the bathroom and the bedroom can be a bit cooler at 16 degrees at night. Cross ventilation should be applied at least once a day. Ventilation should be undertaken in all weather conditions because the cold outside air is usually drier than the warm air in the room. If mold has already been discovered, a specialist should remove the mold immediately so that the fungus cannot spread any further. (sb)
Asthma caused by mold
Fungal infections (mycoses) in humans
Image: Infrogmation, Wikipedia.