Do not mix acidic toilet cleaners with chlorine cleaners
It is not uncommon for serious accidents to happen in the household out of ignorance. The Industry Association for Personal Care and Detergents (IKW) warns in a current message about the dangers of interactions with cleaning agents. If these are mixed improperly, severe burns to the nasal mucous membranes and skin can occur. This also applies to organic acids.
"I thought a lot helps a lot," reports Karin R. from Augsburg. The housewife and mother had mixed one cleaning agent with another because the first one hadn't cleaned properly. "This started a serious chemical reaction and I had to be taken to a hospital with symptoms of poisoning." It doesn't happen to me a second time, she emphasizes.
Toxic chlorine gas by mixing toilet cleaners
Mixing toilet cleaners can be hazardous to health. The cleaning agents contain organic acids such as formic, acetic or citric acid or inorganic acids such as sodium hydrogen sulfate or phosphoric acid. These substances are responsible for loosening and removing calcium and urine deposits in the toilets. "Under no circumstances may these acidic cleaners be used together with cleaners that contain active chlorine," warns Bernd Glassl from the Industrial Association for Personal Care and Detergents (IKW) in Frankfurt am Main. If the substances are mixed, highly toxic chlorine gas is generated. Inhalation of the gas can lead to serious health problems.
Another mistake that occurs again and again is the mixing of acidic sanitary agents with other alkaline cleaners. The alkalis have the property of neutralizing the acids, according to the expert. "As a result, the toilet cleaner loses its effectiveness compared to lime".
Wash immediately if the cleaning agent gets on the skin
When cleaning, consumers should take care that the toilet cleaner does not drip onto the floor. Not all floors can tolerate these sharp agents. Particular caution is required, for example, with marble floors. If splashes get on the skin, they should be washed off immediately with clear water. It is best to wear cleaning gloves so that the hands are protected. (sb)
Image: BirgitH / pixelio.de